‘I lost 15% body fat eating almost 3000 calories a day’

‘I lost 15% body fat eating almost 3000 calories a day’

I used to have an extremely restrictive diet during the week, with what I thought were standard cheat meals on the weekend.

My typical weekday diet was a protein shake for breakfast, chicken with sweet potatoes, asparagus and brown rice for lunch and just a salad for dinner. I wouldn’t eat any sweets or foods that are classified as being ‘bad’ for you.

Weekends I would usually dine out and eat heavy meals such as loaded burgers and fries. Being so restrictive during the week led me to overindulging and binge eating on weekends. One of my worst habits was eat Nutella out of the jar with a spoon.

I was also running for an hour run every morning and at the gym for an hour and a half after work.

At my heaviest, I was just shy of 70kg and was unhappy with what I saw. My weight was on a steady increase and my clothes began getting extremely tight but I didn’t understand why because I trained extensively and would eat clean for the most part.

I stumbled across Equalution through social media and when I saw the meals they provided, coupled with their calorie comparison pictures I was blown away and knew this was something I had to try.

I adopted the 80/20 approach, with 80 per cent of my diet becoming wholefoods, and the remaining 20 per cent being soul foods.

It meant I was giving my body the nutrients it required, while also enjoying my favourite foods in moderation.

In the beginning it was a lot to wrap my head around but the team at Equalution were extremely helpful helped me understand the concept of flexible dieting and why the body requires each food group.

Now, I’m currently eating 2900 calories per day, with 150g protein, 81g fat, 393g carbs and 44g of fibre.

My last meal plan contained the following:

  • Breakfast: Milo protein oats
  • Snack: Body Science protein bar
  • Lunch: Homemade Aussie beef pie
  • Snack: Raspberry and brownie yoghurt bowl
  • Dinner: Salami, bocconcini and vegetable pizza
  • Dessert: Waffles with strawberries, marshmallows, ice cream and melted chocolate

I’ve also substantially decreased my training because I now know that nutrition is the driver of body composition results. My current training consists of resistance training six days a week for an hour and one active rest day where I usually will just walk or cycle.

Since starting my journey 11 months ago I have dropped around 10kg. My weight fluctuates given I am on a reverse diet and am moving into a calorie surplus to build muscle.

My body fat at the beginning was 28.8 per cent, today it’s around the 14-16 per cent range whilst eating 2900 calories!

The biggest lesson I’ve learnt on this journey is how important it is to have a good relationship with food. There are so many diets out there that restrict certain food groups, have you under eating or eliminate all of the foods that you love.

Equalution has taught me that no food or food group will directly result in fat gain as the body doesn’t recognise foods as ‘good’ or ‘bad’, but instead for its macronutrient value. So, when you understand your intake needs you can incorporate all foods, with a balanced approach, and achieve your body composition goals guilt free.

The hardest part for me was when I first travelled overseas about two months into my new regime. I didn’t know how I would go being away from the comforts of weighing my food and having readily available nutritional information, coupled with the fact that I didn’t have a meal plan to follow.

The Equalution team provided me with a list of travel tips and instructions on how to manage my diet and make smart choices whilst being away. I found this extremely helpful and I ended up losing a kilo the week after I returned even though I enjoyed myself and dined out while I was away.

I want people to know that you don’t have to restrict yourself in order to achieve your body goals. I no longer believe that restriction or elimination is the way to go. Everything can be enjoyed in moderation.

Get a nutrition coach to educate you on food, expand your food knowledge and take baby steps to work towards becoming the best version of you. Consistency is key in terms of long term sustainable results, so the more you put into understanding your intake needs and consistently adhere to you intake goals, the more you get out of it.